Plaza Blvd. Widening
The project will widen Plaza Boulevard between Highland Avenue and Euclid Avenue to construct a 6-lane regional arterial. Phase I of the project includes utility undergrounding and widening of Plaza Boulevard between Palm Avenue and I-805. Phase II includes utility undergrounding and widening of Plaza Boulevard between Highland Avenue and Palm Avenue. Phase III includes widening of Plaza Boulevard between I-805 and Euclid Avenue. All phases include adding travel lanes to expand roadway capacity and improve traffic flow, traffic signal modifications for safety and operations, and pedestrian / ADA enhancements.
- Due to significant delays to the utility undergrounding project, the Plaza Blvd Widening project has been delayed. The utility undergrounding project did not meet the original completion date of October 2016, and was not completed until March 2017. The undergrounding project was a joint effort by SDG&E, AT&T, Cox and Media 3.
- In order for Plaza Blvd to be widened, the overhead lines, power poles, transformers and utility vaults had to be removed. These could not be removed by the utility companies until the new underground system was up and running.
- The Plaza Blvd Widening Contractor was required to pull off the job site for approximately 3 months until all outstanding utility work was complete.
- The Plaza Blvd Widening Contractor returned to the job site on March 1st, 2017.
- Project completion is estimated for June 2017.
We have been working diligently with the Contractor and will continue to expedite the completion of the project.